Sunday, May 24, 2026

Trump says deal 'negotiated' but Iran disputes terms, would include reopening Strait of Hormuz

A "largely negotiated" memorandum of understanding on an Iran peace deal would reopen the Strait of Hormuz, US President Donald Trump has said although the Iranian Fars news agency disputed that claim.

Mr Trump posted on social media that the emerging agreement would reopen the strait, the vital shipping passage whose closure has upended global energy markets since the US and Israel launched the war on Iran in February.

He did not say what else would be included in an agreement.

 "Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly," Mr Trump wrote on Truth Social.

  A draft bilateral memorandum on peace between the United States and Iran envisages extending the ceasefire by 60 days, during which talks on a full-fledged peace agreement will continue, the Axios portal said, citing the document.

During the ceasefire, navigation via the Strait of Hormuz will resume, and Iran will be able to sell its oil freely.

4 comments :

  1. Fars reported that the agreement would allow Iran to manage the strait and that Mr Trump's assertion on the strait was "inconsistent with reality."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Later, Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif said: "I congratulate President Donald Trump on his extraordinary efforts to pursue peace," and said the phone call had been "very useful and productive".

    ReplyDelete
  3. The deal includes an "apparent commitment" by Iran to give up its highly enriched uranium, the New York Times reported, citing two unidentified US officials.

    Details of how Iran would cede that stockpile would be left for a subsequent round of talks, the newspaper quoted the officials as saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. According to Axios, though final agreement remains pending:

    60-day ceasefire extension, with US forces staying in region unless final deal reached

    Strait of Hormuz to reopen; Iran to clear mines, US to ease oil sanctions and lift port blockade

    Iran commits to forgo nuclear arms, talks to be held on enrichment curbs, removal of existing materials, possible sanctions relief depending on verified Iranian concessions

    Draft reportedly includes a ceasefire framework aimed at ending conflict in Lebanon

    ReplyDelete

Only News

Featured Post

“The U.S. must stop supporting terrorists who are destroying Syria and her people" : US Congresswoman, Tulsi Gabbard

US Congresswoman, Tulsi Gabbard, recently visited Syria, and even met with President Bashar Al-Assad. She also visited the recently libe...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin